Ilia Vekua Sukhumi Institute of Physics and Technology (SIPT) was founded in 1945. The Institute was formed on the ground of the core of the famous German scientists (Nobel laureate Gustav Ludwig Hertz, Manfred Von Ardenne, Max Steenbeck, Pieter Thiessen, Max Volmer, Nikolaus Riehl, etc.).
Activities of institute included research technologies of creation nuclear and thermonuclear and corpuscular-beam weapons, and also scientist researches in fields including plasma physics, solid state physics, untraditional energetic, physical electronics and other.
In 2006, the Institute was granted the status of a legal entity of public law (LEPL). Same year, scientific- technology direction was created in the Institute, with appropriate scientific-structural units, involvement in the international scientific
researches and projects was increased respectively.
The conception of the institute covers wide spectrum of science and technology:
• Nuclear physics, radiation materials science and technologies;
• Solid body physics, semiconductors and superconductors physics;
• Semiconducting, thermoelectric and optoelectronic instrument-making;
• Quantum radiophysics, laser, electric and electronic systems;
• Cryogenic technique and technologies, nanomaterials and nanotechnologies;
• Chemical technologies, new compositions and ceramic materials (i.e. On the basis of local raw materials);
• Environmental protection problems, i.e., researching radioactive contamination, monitoring and methods to reduce and non-proliferate pollution through the environment.
The scientific achievements of SIPT are quite impressive and are acknowledged by the World scientific communities.
The scientific Structural Units of the Institute